Here's some of the research shared by one of the teens in our UnTwisted/RiseAbove Youth Group (so proud!):
10 Facts You Need to Know about the Kony campaign.
1. The footage of children in the streets are from 10 years ago and from a conflict that has long since subsided. Uganda is portrayed as a worn torn country... it is not.
2. The man [Kony] hasn't been in the country, Uganda for over six years. His so called army operates in small groups of 2-3 soldiers spread across a wide area of northern Uganda.
3. The LRA is estimated to be around 250-300 strong. Not the terrifying force they used to be.
4. Only 31% of the funds raised by The Invisible Children Inc are actually spent of services the rest 69% goes to its founders to fund their film making and expensive lifestyles. The accounts suggest nearly 25% of its $8.8m income last year was spent on travel and film-making with only around 30% going toward programes on the ground. The great majority of the money raised has been spent in the US. $1.7 million went on US employee salaries, $357,000 in film costs, $850,000 in film production costs, $244,000 in "professional services" - thought to be Washington lobbyists - and $1.07 million in travel expenses . Nearly $400,000 was spent on office rent in San Diego.
5. The Ugandan Army supported by Invisible Children Inc. has alongside the LRA been accused of abducting children into its ranks.
6. Most of the people working for Invisible Children are media professionals not development professionals.
7. The current situation in northern Uganda is that most children and women are sleeping at home.
8. The video promotes outside intervention as the solution to the conflict, something that those currently in the region are opposed to.
9. The video is a very slick marketing and fund-raising tool for their charity.
10. The conflict between the LRA and the Ugandan Army is about land and resources, oil reserves a fact not mentioned in the film